It’s important to know the right questions to ask a therapist when seeking help for your anxiety. Nearly all therapists will accept patients with anxiety, so please don’t just take the first one that accepts your insurance.
It is crucial for you to do your homework- before you commit to therapy - to make sure you get the help you need, and to make sure your time and money is well spent.
Here are 10 Important Questions to Ask a Therapist:
- What is your experience in treating patients with anxiety?
- How long will my therapy last?
- How long is each session and how often do I have to see you?
- How long until I start to feel better?
- What is your opinion of anxiety medication? Do you prescribe, or can you refer me to someone who can if I need medication?
- How can I reach you in between sessions if I am having a crisis?
- Do you give homework assignments?
- What special training do you have for treating anxiety?
- How do you treat patients with anxiety?
- What is your success rate in treating patients with anxiety? Can you give me some examples?
If the therapist is reluctant to answer any of your questions, acts arrogant or hostile to you, this is a red flag. Remember you are paying them for a very important service, and you deserve to have any and all of your questions answered.
Knowing what questions to ask a therapist is a great way to weed out therapists that aren’t suited to your needs. And always remember- There is no such thing as a stupid question. So do ask away!
I wish you peace,
ps.- Next we will look at questions you should ask yourself once you are in therapy.